Creating your New Year’s Revolution.
“I can’t believe another year has gone!”
It’s time to plan 2018, by setting your New Year’s resolutions.
This year why not start a New Year’s Revolution instead?
By that I mean get a little more creative and imagining the future you really want for you, your career, and/or your business. It involves using the power of your subconscious to bring into focus what your heart desires. It’s so much more fun than setting a shopping list of logical goals, half of which aren’t really what you want, and the other half aren’t actually achievable.
How do you do it?
Preparation: Grab a pad of paper and a pen. Remove your shoes.
1. Relax on a sofa or a comfortable chair.
(Don’t do this at your work desk – it’s not typically a very relaxing environment.)
2. Close your eyes and breathe slowly in through your nose for 5 seconds, and out through your nose for 5 seconds. Repeat until your breathing is slow and regulated and you feel relaxed.
3. Imagine you are flying over water, the sun above you in a clear blue sky. You are totally free and yes, you are actually flying. Ahead of you is your future, and anything is possible. Imagine the wind rushing over you as you fly – Superman style – towards your future.
4. Let your imagination create the future that you are flying towards. What’s on the horizon? What will you achieve? Who will you meet? What will happen to you, your career or your business? Imagine events, places, people, and achievements. Imagine landing at that future time and meeting these people, and witnessing these events. Stay in this imagined future for as long as you can, and let your imagination create as much detail as possible.
5. Open your eyes and stay in that relaxed state as you jot down all the things you imagined. Write down single words and short sentences. Once you’ve got everything down on paper, close your eyes and remember more. Write this down too.
6. Review your findings and highlight / circle the words and ideas that really resonate with you.
7. Jump on Google and go through your top 8-10 words or ideas, putting the word(s) into the search bar and doing a Google Image search on each.
8. Screen shot the most powerful image for each word / idea and put them on a single page Word document. Print it out.
The result could look something like the image above, my own exercise from 2015.
I still have this pinned to my wall next to my workstation. It’s a work in progress, and it’s coming true, image-by-image. It’s a reminder for me every day why I’m working and what I’m working towards.
It’s my own little Revolution taking me towards a future I want to and will eventually achieve.
Good luck with your own revolution. If you need guidance, please get in touch.